Custom Search

Shoutbox

You must login to post a message.

17/03/2018 21:26
Ladies - we should make more use of this website

14/07/2014 10:28
Can someone please put a link up to the IM draw

21/10/2013 14:33
Not sure Jenny, Gill is the person to ask as she is the Rep. Hoping the ladies still enter so we can get a team in 11s and hopefully 15s for 2014.

18/10/2013 13:12
How many ladies are entering the 2014 IM?

16/05/2013 22:20
Selection email have been sent.

02/05/2013 10:08
About And i will reschedule

02/05/2013 10:07
Girls the fundraiser I had organised is cancelled, fe other things happening on that day and I need to work as both my staff have decided to take holidays at the same time grrrrr can you all pass word

01/03/2013 21:13
I hope the tour doesnt go on that late Yvonne lol x

01/03/2013 16:44
11:00pm, car park outside red triangle cumbernauld!!!

22/02/2013 21:44
Time dat and venue gem for group hug? love

Fundraising

View Thread

Print Thread
Moving forward.....
yvonne
#1 Print Post
Posted on 18-01-2010 21:35
Super Admin

In an attempt to get everything out in the open and move on, I have spoken to a few players and the following seem to be problematic.

EBA (European Blackball Association) EVENTS
There is discontentment from the ladies b with the fact that they only attend events to play Wales, England B1 & England B2.

TOUR RANKINGS
These dont appear online and utilisation of same.

PLAYERS IN TOUR
That Sarah Trudgett, Leanne Evans and Amanda Cutt are allowed to play in tour.

If there is anything else, please feel free to post on here and we will discuss.

COMMENTS PLEASE.
Edited by yvonne on 18-01-2010 22:16
SPA Tournament Director

www.scottishladiespool.com
Gill
#2 Print Post
Posted on 18-01-2010 22:07

How can anyone gripe about Amanda playing in the tour? She's Scottish FFS!!! If yer gonna gripe should it not be that Shetland have a team in the international set up when they are a part of Scotland?

yvonne
#3 Print Post
Posted on 18-01-2010 22:08
Super Admin

Gill wrote:
How can anyone gripe about Amanda playing in the tour? She's Scottish FFS!!! If yer gonna gripe should it not be that Shetland have a team in the international set up when they are a part of Scotland?

The gripe was non scottish international players in the tour and amanda, although scottish plays for Shetland.

Gill, the part about shetland playing in international events is another discussion altogether.
Edited by yvonne on 18-01-2010 22:09
SPA Tournament Director

Gill
#4 Print Post
Posted on 18-01-2010 22:20

I can appreciate both sides of this argument...

If the tour events are for ranking points and the rankings are gonna be used for team selection then it should only be open to players eligible for selection. Being drawn against Trudget or Kirsty or Leanne would seriously damage most of the tour members chances of progressing.

However....

Whenever I've been at the business of a tournament, whether it be the tour or the Scottish or internationally, then i want to know that I got there having beaten stiff competition.

If the people want a closed tour look closely at Wales' set up first. See how much interest they get! eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

yvonne
#5 Print Post
Posted on 18-01-2010 22:30
Super Admin

Gill wrote:
I can appreciate both sides of this argument...

If the tour events are for ranking points and the rankings are gonna be used for team selection then it should only be open to players eligible for selection. Being drawn against Trudget or Kirsty or Leanne would seriously damage most of the tour members chances of progressing.

However....

Whenever I've been at the business of a tournament, whether it be the tour or the Scottish or internationally, then i want to know that I got there having beaten stiff competition.

If the people want a closed tour look closely at Wales' set up first. See how much interest they get! eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Good post Gill, is anyone able to shed light on how Wales run their tour, maybe Claire or Jane (they live there lol). Just so everyone is aware of what we are talking about - open, honest communication - the way forward.

Wink
Edited by yvonne on 18-01-2010 22:32
SPA Tournament Director

Gill
#6 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 07:07

The ladies tour in Wales used to run in a very similar fashion to our's. It had a pretty good uptake and I played in it, Claire played in it and Jane played in it. You also had the likes of Becky Corfield, Natalie Bunce, Jo Jones etc playing in it too. None of us wanted to play for Wales but most of us were in ranking positions which would have made us eligible.

Then they decided to change the entry to only girls who were eligible and wanted to play for Wales (Blackball). Now I don't know exact figures but by my estimation the entry dropped to about 60%.

The result of that decision was a completely separate tour being set up by Claire. Now I commend Claire for putting in the time and effort to get this venture off the ground and congratulate her on it's success but is it really something we want happening up here? We have a perfectly good tour set up already and with the changes that have been brought in for 2010, event 5 won't have any of the non Scottish internationals in it anyway.

Claire
#7 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 09:56
B Team

Yeh totally agree with Gill (honest! ;-), the only reason i started doing the Grand Prix was because the Welsh Tour left a gaping hole in tournament provision down here for lots of players, not to mention good competition practice for them. The jury is out on the closed tour IMO, personally i don't think it is going to benefit them in the long run and i don't think their better players are getting good match practice. It runs over group round robins with players picked from pots of "top players" and "not top players" to spread them out, top few going through to knockout. Positive points i see are your lower players get more frames/practice. Negative points i see however are that they are more sheltered (nothing brings your game and your practice time up like regular beatings lol) and your top players are bound to accrue points and are effectively "seeded" through meaning you don't cycle players. An open competition and draw with the best of talent in it i think is better, provided you have people with the experience and knowledge to look outside the box and use their common sense. Rankings are not fool proof which is where wild cards and other aspects come in to it.

I think 60% was generous Gill, there are now usually around 25 at each one where as were they not up towards 50 - 60 at one point? Tut tut
There's always a finish!

Bapsley
#8 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 10:34

With regards to the tour being open to players outwith Scotland.....

Why not do a poll, let people vote anonymously (spellcheck!?!) on what they would prefer, that way you are getting the truth out of everyone, not everyone likes voicing things on an open thread.
Big up The Falkirk Mental! Scotlaaaaaaaaand!

Claire
#9 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 11:01
B Team

Yeh could do Terri, personally i think that can be risky because people would vote without fully understanding the pros and cons. I would rather that Yvonne/Renzie/SPA committee members made these decisions and the rest of us do as we're told lol, that's what they are for!
There's always a finish!

Bapsley
#10 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 11:25

Well Gill has given us the pro's and con's on this argument.......if i understand them then anyone can!!

Im not saying give us a vote to change it am merely saying give us a vote so that you guys know where you's stand and then it is up to the people in charge to look at it and decide if it needs to be changed......is that not the point of this thread?

Surely if 90% of people voted for the tours to be open to Scotland only you guys would need to say... right maybe it should be!. Then if there was a high percentage voting for the change then the risk of the attendance dropping wouldnt be too much coz the majority are for it.

Im not the best at wording things and putting points across so i apologise if any of that was confusing!

Big up The Falkirk Mental! Scotlaaaaaaaaand!

Claire
#11 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 11:50
B Team

Lol, nope i think i gotcha! Like i said it's only a personal opinion, i don't think that everything should go to vote at a wider level, i feel that is why committees and so on are voted in. If it is left up to "contestants" then i think there is a chance they may vote for closed in the hope of eliminating some of the stiff competition, sort of like when you're wee and your dad gives you a row and tells you to bring him his slipper lol....! Only a personal view and like you said discussion is the point of forums.
There's always a finish!

Steenie
#12 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 12:57

Super Admin

I played on the Welsh tour too, it was about the mid 50's mark for the tour, with players coming from the Derby area as well. It was a far more competitive tour. The english tour is the same as the scottish one with all players welcome - think i'm the only immigrant playing on it tho. Does anyone think that the Welsh team have progressed massively by changing their tour to a closed round robin thingy?

Can see both points, it's no fun turning up to get cuffed by trudge, leanne or kirsty but then again if you want to compete against the best and raise your game there is no better way than to play players that you usually would not get the chance to. If you limit yourself to practice with a couple of your mates or play the same players in comps over and over then your game can go stagnant rather than progress. I personally relish playing them, even if i get pumped as a good learning experience and the type of pool where making one mistake can be frame over........oh and excluding Trudge would mean that my chance of cheap travel would be gone and i'd have to scrape up to 120 quid together to get to every tour Angry (self self self)

Scottish tour is very competitive with 5 different winners this year and the likes of Bapsley and Pauline Snorkel reaching the business end of the tour is a good sign too. To be honest it is very rare that all of the non Scots are there at one time, sometimes it's just 1 or 2 of them. Yvonne and co have changed the tour around making it cheaper and changing the 5th tour. What else would folks like to be implemented into the format?

I personally would like to see the tour kept open to everyone.

If people want a poll on anything i can set one up easily enough
Mon The Blind Kid

www.scottishpool.com
Claire
#13 Print Post
Posted on 19-01-2010 13:23
B Team

Too early to tell if it has progressed in Wales Steenie but i really can't see how it can. I'm with you though and have always relished playing the best players available to keep me on my toes, plus my concentration's awful and i focus better against better opponents. If you were unlucky enough to get pumped in enough rounds to knock your ranking i am confident it would be taken in to account as other factors are.
There's always a finish!

Elaine
#14 Print Post
Posted on 22-01-2010 20:39
Super Admin

yvonne wrote:

TOUR RANKINGS
These dont appear online and utilisation of same.

Our webmaster's 'puter is not reading excel for the moment, so I've put them on for the time being GrinGrinGrin

Rankings are here
Edited by Elaine on 22-01-2010 20:43

Jump to Forum:

Forum Threads Cloud

Render time: 0.13 seconds
32,224,556 unique visits